Bill Bennett’s Delta Wing Kites and Gliders
Bill Bennett, originally from Australia, started making hang gliders the in USA in March 1969(*). It is unclear to this author whether Bill Bennett or fellow Australian Bill Moyes started manufacturing hang gliders first, but they both seem to have started in 1969.
The links in this related topics menu are in chronological order.
- Wills Wing in Eagles among men, a review of Higher than Eagles, the Tragedy and Triumph of an American Family by Maralys Wills and Chris Wills, 1992, quoting Bill Bennett when he and Bob Wills met for the first time
- More developments in Hang gliding 1975 part 2 for the Phoenix VI and a photo taken inside the factory at Van Nuys
- Flight of the Phoenix in Hang gliding 1976 part 2 for the Phoenix VIB
- Windows 76 also in Hang gliding 1976 part 2 for the Phoenix 8. See also under External links on that page for several Bennett Phoenix photos including one that many consider to be one of the finest hang glider photos ever.
- High aspect in Hang gliding 1977 for Dennis Pagen and Sean Dever flying Phoenix 8s
- Bird’s eye view in Hang gliding 1978 and 1979 part 1 for a partly obscured Phoenix Mariah with a retrofitted tailplane and a photo of Bill Moyes and Bill Bennett together
- Hang gliding 1978 and 1979 part 2 for a Phoenix 6C
- Sail painting also in Hang gliding 1978 and 1979 part 2 for a Phoenix 12 and a Phoenix Super 8
- Mariah in Hang gliding 1978 and 1979 part 3 for photos of and info about the Mariah, and another photo of the Phoenix 8 and one of the Phoenix 6D
- Mid-day lightning in Vermont, a review of the Francis Freedland documentary film 1978 Pico Peak International Hang Gliding Meet, which contains screenshots, photos, and external links to high-resolution images and video of the Mariah
- Hang gliding early 1980s part 1 for a bit about hang glider designer Bob England, who worked for Bennett
- From our house to bunkhaus, Peripheral technology in hang gliding, in Hang gliding early 1980s part 2 for a photo of an innovation in the Bennett sail loft
- On the mountain also in Hang gliding early 1980s part 2 for color photos by Hugh Morton of the wreck of a Streak that crashed at Grandfather Mountain
- Bennett delta wing in Hang gliding mid 1980s for the Streak, designed by British engineer Bob England, and the Progressive Aircraft Dawn Comp designed by long time Bennett designer Dick Boone
Bill Bennett was killed in a powered ultralight crash in 2004.
Dacron and aluminium in Hang gliding before 1973 for Dick Boone flying a standard Rogallo
Dick Boone, hang glider designer. That related topics menu has much commonality with this one.
Jean-Michel Bernasconi and Pacific Windcraft: Bernasconi moved from France to the USA in 1978, working for Bennett as a dealer representative.
Moyes Delta Gliders related topics menu
Bill Bennett, 73, Aviator Who Championed Hang Gliding, Dies, by Douglas Martin, The New York Times, Nov. 17, 2004
Bill Bennett started making hang gliders the in USA in March 1969: Glider Rider January 1981